About Princess Anne Hills

Home        Bulletins        Princess Anne Hills    Covenants        Environment        Events        Civic League Officers        Helpful Links    Flood Map     High Water Events     By Laws

 
 

In 1995 a consortium of investors purchased a tract of land just to the west of 59th Street and Atlantic Avenue in Virginia Beach. Their purpose was to build a small, secluded community bordering on Crystal Lake and First Landing State Park. The builders formed The Crystal Lake Development Corporation with Dudley Cocke as President/Treasurer, and Joseph Kelly as Secretary. Other investors included Duck Braithwaite, Robert Goodman, Richard Goodman, and James Standing.


The new development was officially called Princess Anne Hills Park. The project was carried out in four phases spanning over a ten-year period. Early on, the decision was made to name the three main streets of the development Susan Constant, Discovery, and Goodspeed after the three ships which brought settlers to Virginia in 1607. The initial landing was a place which today is known as First Landing State Park, located approximately one mile distant from Princess Anne Hills. In some historical records the ship, “Godspeed”, is spelled “Goodspeed.”


The Princess Anne Hills Civic League is presently submitting a request to officially change the spelling of Goodspeed Road to more accurately reflect the more frequently used spelling of “Godspeed.”


January 18th, 2007

 

A History on the Establishment of Princess Anne Hills